Board :Tales of the People
Author :Archon Iyagi
Subject :"Spook-tacular" by AnnaBell
Date :10/30
Shortly after my parents started allowing me to walk around town by myself on Halloween, I decided I didn't want to go trick or treating anymore. I am growing up and becoming a woman now and i'd like to see what all of these haunted trails are about. I notice a few groups of older couples walking towards the gate of this old creepy house. What could they be doing there, I asked myself. As I get closer, I read a note that says "Haunted Trail here". This is exactly what I have been looking for all night. I am all alone but that isn't going to stop me from enjoying my very first haunted trail.

I stand at the gates watching groups of people enter, group by group. I soon hear the host shout "Next 5 please". As I watch the next 5 go in, the host shouts again "next 5 please". It seems the host is only allowing a group of 5 members to go in at once. But i'm all alone. I don't want to mess up anyone else's group of friends so I stand by watching everyone else go in. People are coming out the other end screaming and some even crying. "This trail must really be scary", I think to myself.

After a few hours, I see a group of 4 people entering the gates to go to the haunted trail. "The host is only allowing a group of 5 to enter at once", I say. "My I walk through with you guys, as I came alone" I asked. The group consisted of three women and one man. One of the women looked up with a smile and said "this is our first time here but please do join us". My eyes lit up and I jumped in line with this group. There were just a few groups of people ahead of us. We are carrying on conversations and giggling about all the screaming everyone is doing that is coming out of the haunted trail.

Before we know it, it's our turn to enter. As the host allows us to walk in, my heart starts pounding. I am overly excited but also kinda frieghtened. I don't want the other people in this group to think I am still a child or that I am too scared to go through the trail. I start thinking about all the things my mother would tell me as a child, and I remembered her saying "if you ever get too scared, just close your eyes and run". Oh perfect, I thought. If I get too scared, i'll just close my eyes and pretend everything is fine.

Shortly after we enter the cave, everything gets super dark. There's fog all around us which makes it hard to see. Our group all hurdles up and stays close together. Not much longer and we hear bears growling and see bats flying over our heads. We all shout and jump because we didn't expect that at all. As we make it to the end of that walk way, we have to turn the corner and go to the right. As we turn to the right, there are ghosts flying around everywhere. There are cats running around at our feet and spiders crawling on the walls.  

We then see a man standing at the end of this path, we all assume he is just there to point us in the right direction but as we get closer, he jumps out and shouts at us. Scared the daylights out of us. The other girls in the group were screaming and shouting and took off running. The guy in the group and myself, take off following the other girls. It seems they are done with tonight, as they ran completely out of the trail. We finally catch up to them and they are still screaming and crying in fear. The guy starts comforting the girls and telling them it was all put together to be scary.. that's the entire point of a "haunted trail".

I stand around for a few minutes and thank this group for allowing me to walk through with them. I head home to tell my mother about my first haunted trail and how I didn't find it scary at all. I actually enjoyed seeing all of the creative ideas that people can come up with. My mother and I decide to put together our own haunted trail next year and we'll see just how many people can finish our haunted trail. Some people enjoy being scared and some people are too scared to enjoy spooky things.

-AnnaBell